Moon South Dakota's Black Hills: With Mount Rushmore & Badlands National Park
Outdoor Adventures, Scenic Drives, Local Bites & Brews
Laural A. Bidwell
Experience the open skies of the Badlands, the rolling prairies of the West, and one of America's most famous monuments with Moon South Dakota's Black Hills. Inside you'll find:
- Flexible itineraries: Unique and adventure-packed ideas for day trips, a week on the road, families with kids, wildlife enthusiasts, and more
- The best hikes in the Black Hills and Badlands, with individual trail descriptions, elevation gains, and trailheads
- Experience the outdoors: Go horseback riding, rock climbing, backpacking, kayaking, biking, and more. Say hello to the carved granite faces of the presidents and hike red rock canyons and hills covered in ponderosa pine. Spot bison, elk, and mountain goats and see wild horses roaming the grassy flatlands. Climb the tallest peak east of the Rockies or navigate the underground passages of Wind Cave National Park
- Respectfully connect with Native American culture: Visit historic sites, galleries, and museums to learn about Lakota history, see the Crazy Horse Memorial, or attend a powwow ceremony to watch traditional dances and sample authentic cuisine
- How to get there: Up-to-date information on gateway towns, park entrances, park fees, and tours
- Where to stay: Campgrounds, resorts, hotels, and more
- Planning tips: When to go, what to pack, safety information, and how to avoid the crowds, with full-color photos and detailed maps throughout
- Expertise and know-how: Experience the best of this stunning region with Laural A. Bidwell, a local of South Dakota's Black Hills
Craving more of the great outdoors? Check out Moon USA National Parks, Moon Zion & Bryce, or Moon Yellowstone & Grand Teton.
About Moon Travel Guides: Moon was founded in 1973 to empower independent, active, and conscious travel. We prioritize local businesses, outdoor recreation, and traveling strategically and sustainably. Moon Travel Guides are written by local, expert authors with great stories to tell—and they can't wait to share their favorite places with you.
For more inspiration, follow @moonguides on social media.