A Clinical Guide to Treating Behavioral Addictions
Giordano, an established scholar in behavioral addictions, has provided a landmark clinical reference book. This text provides the quintessential guide to understanding process addictions with detailed attention to assessment and treatment that is unparalleled in the literature. This is a must-have book for every clinician.
- Craig S. Cashwell, Ph.D., LPC, NCC, ACS, CSAT-S, Professor, William & Mary
”This groundbreaking text, A Clinical Guide to Treating Behavioral Addictions, is a must-read for counselors and educators alike. As a former addictions counselor, now counselor educator, I found the information in this text timely, relevant, and instrumental to the work of treating persons with behavioral addictions. This go-to resource will prove to be invaluable for years to come!”
--Michael K. Schmit, PhD, LPC, Hazelden Betty Ford Graduate School of Addiction Studies
An innovative new text addressing 11 behavioral addictions in detail with a focus on recent neuroscience.
This practical, approachable guide for clinicians comprehensively covers an array of behavioral addictions ranging from internet gaming addiction and sex addiction, to social media addiction and food addiction. Each chapter answers foundational questions to inform clinical practice including: How do I conceptualize it?, How do I identify it?, How do I assess it?, How do I treat it?, and How do I learn more? &Through this innovative resource, clinicians will gain valuable knowledge regarding the conceptualization, identification, assessment, and treatment of behavioral addictions.
Each chapter highlights the most current research related to specific behavioral addictions, provides a synthesis of recent neuroscience, and examines diverse treatment approaches to fit the widest range of clinical styles. In addition, this book describes the evolving definition of addiction, provides examples of how to advocate for clients with behavioral addictions, and devotes an entire chapter to understanding the neuroscience of addiction. This clinical reference book will help counselors provide compassionate, effective services to clients with a variety of behavioral addictions. Purchase includes digital access for use on most mobile devices or computers.
- Offers “Voices from the Field” sections in which clinicians describe their experiences working with each behavioral addiction
- Includes a chapter completely devoted to the neuroscience of addiction in addition to a synthesis of recent neuroscience in each chapter
- Synthesizes current research to aid in clinical conceptualizations
- Describes useful assessment instruments and how to access them
- Presents a wide range of treatment approaches and 12-step program options
- Provides abundant resources for further study