Understanding and Teaching Primary English
Theory Into Practice
James Clements, Mathew Tobin
Inspiring and supporting you to become an insightful, creative and professional teacher of primary English.
Teaching children English is an opportunity to give them skills that will enrich their entire lives and is a crucial part of their intellectual development. Covering all major aspects of primary English and following the foundations set in the early years, this book takes you through your teacher training and into your early career in the classroom.
Each topic explores what we know from theory and the latest research, and then demonstrates how you can use this understanding in practice. Drawing on the authors’ own knowledge and experiences in the classroom, the book is full of practical advice and strategies to support your own teaching, while also helping you develop your subject knowledge.
Key topics include:
· Reading and writing in the early years
· Curriculum design and planning
· Promotive reading for pleasure and teachers as readers
· Teaching writing and its role as a form of communication
· Vocabulary development and word knowledge
· Assessment for formative and summative purposes
· Oracy and spoken language development