Backyard Sugarmaking from Tap to Table
Sweet Maple is an instructional book on backyard sugarmaking that’s also the story of one family’s connection to the past on a small New England sugar farm. Throughout its pages, Michelle (the “sugarmaker’s wife”) gives advice on:
- the 22 different kinds of trees that can be tapped.
- the process of making syrup, to help you decide what level is right for you.
- how to make alternative treats, such lilac syrup.
- the health benefits of maple products, which contain more than 40 antioxidants.
- substituting processed sugar with all-natural maple syrup in any recipe.
- the 3 steps to making maple sugar.
- how to make irresistible maple cream and how to enjoy it.
While learning the art of sugarmaking alongside her husband, Michelle guides readers through every step of all-natural syrup production, with directions for tapping one tree or dozens, while detailing the life-changing benefits of using maple syrup in the kitchen. Interspersed with sugaring techniques, tips, sidebars, and storytelling, Michelle shares more than 30 of her family’s tried-and-true maple recipes—from scones to salads.