Writing Sci-Fi and Fantasy (Lit Starts)
A Book of Writing Prompts
San Francisco Writers' Grotto
A book of writing prompts from the San Francisco Writers’ Grotto, authors of the best-selling 642 Things series
Focus on a single aspect of the craft of writing with help from the San Francisco Writers’ Grotto. Writing Sci-Fi and Fantasy starts with a foreword by author Dorothy Hearst, who offers pointers for writing speculative fiction and inventing fantastic new worlds. The rest of the book consists of prompts and space to think, providing opportunities to consider the rules that govern your imagined universe. Among other ideas, you’ll explore the various aspects of world-building by:
- writing a timeline of the history of your imagined place
- describing what the inhabitants of your world look like
- detailing transportation from city to city or planet to planet
- figuring out who’s in charge and whether or not they should be
Take to a café, on vacation, or on your morning commute and practice your creative writing a little bit at a time.
- Advice from a published writer, followed by prompts
- Part of the Lit Start series, a collection of single-subject writing prompt books by the San Francisco Writers’ Grotto
Check out the other books in this series: Writing Action, Writing Character, Writing Dialogue, Writing Humor, and Memoir.